Two new loves have entered my life…the Clif Kid Z Bar and a frozen peach with peanut butter…
Clif Kid Z Bar
- Delicious. Organic.
- They look little (they’re meant for kids, after all, but they are same in weight to most Kashi bars…yes, I checked…)
- 120-130 calories, 2-4 g fat, 3 g fiber, 3 g protein for the Chocolate Brownie, Honey Graham or Chocolate Chip flavors
- $10.79 for a 24-pack of the three flavors listed above at Costco (a little over a buck more than a 24-pack of Kashi TLC Fruit and Grain bars) — Breaks down to $0.45/bar
Peach and Naturally More
I halved and de-pitted a peach, shoved a tablespoon of peanut butter where the pit went, placed on parchment paper and then in the freezer for 30 minutes. I took it out, quartered it, took a bite and decided I’d stand outside its window with a giant radio blasting “In Your Eyes” by Peter Gabriel..it was good…
It may have been more delicioso than usual because I used Naturally More Peanut Butter. I was hesitant to try a p.b. that had flax seed and egg whites mixed in (oh and sugar and wheat germ too)…but, seriously, it turned out to be one of the best peanut butters I’ve ever had (must be the added sugar, not gonna lie!). The almond butter was insanely good too (though I needed to borrow Popeye’s arm to be able to mix in the separated oil when I first opened it…it was like a brick, no kidding…). Oh and uh…note to self…we may need to put a lock on the fridge. Just ‘cuz no one will catch you with the spoon in the p.b. jar at 2 a.m., doesn’t mean the event miraculously never happened. As Shakira says, the “hips don’t lie.”
Stats on Naturally More Peanut Butter
- Two tablespoons: 169 calories, 11 g fat, 4 g fiber, 10 g protein; 8% DV of Omega-3s and 1% DV of Omega-6s
- Ingredients: roasted peanuts, wheat germ, flax seed, cane sugar, egg whites, honey, flax seed oil
- Cost: $18.95 + $6.95 shipping for a 6-pack via their site here (breaks down to $3.16/jar w/o shipping). You can also find at Whole Foods.
- Note: Also available in organic and almond butter
What are some of your fave 200 cal and less snacks?
- Battle of the Butters here
- My Fave 100-Calorie “Packs” here
- Three of my 300 Cal or Less Faves here
- New Healthy Treats here
- Stuff Health Conscious People Like here
In the News
- Science Daily‘s, “Brain’s Response To Seeing Food May Be Linked To Weight Loss Maintenance” (9/16/9) here
- New Scientist‘s, “The Art of Thriving” (9/17/09) here — See some amazing wildlife photographs taken by the world’s finest nature and wildlife photographers (Thrive! exhibition at London’s Saatchi Gallery this Friday and Saturday). Really makes you appreciate the beauty in nature we sometimes take for granted.
- Science Daily‘s, “Zinc Deficiencies A Global Concern” (9/17/09) here
Give-Away Round Up
- Win some customized jeans here
- Win $75 to the Zensah website here
- Win a Gourmet Fall Cheese Tasting Party worth $150 here
- Win some free Oikos Greek Yogurt coupons here
- Win some Arnold Sandwich Thins in Rye here
- Win some of Jen’s fave things, including Smart Ones and Flat Out Wraps here
- Win some Pond’s face towelettes here
- Win some Food Should Taste Good chips here
- Win some True North nut clusters here
Shameless Bloveling (That’s “Blog” mixed with “Groveling.” Wow, cleverest girl of the century award right over here)
- If you’re off voting for your favorite bloggers for the Food Buzz 2009 Food Blog Awards (I did, I did!) and you just have no clue who to nominate for Best New Blog…Might I suggest Feed Me I’m Cranky? We’ve only been around for 7 months, but it’s been an absolute pleasure . Nomination form and info. to be found here.
Whose watching The Office tonight?! It’s a brand new season and I’m so stoked! Is there a t.v. or movie character who you feel bears and uncanny resemblance to you? I can’t even begin to explain how much Pam of the Office and I have shared roles…
<3, The Cranky One